Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Helping Haiti

Every morning, I scan the Washington Post Express on the metro. I feel like most of the actual news in the Express is old news by the time it makes it to this paper, so I usually stick to the celebrity interviews and more lighthearted news that my brain can grasp at 6:30 in the morning. The reader poll always catches my attention because I like to know others' opinions on what's going on in D.C. or around the world (no matter how biased the poll may be). Today's poll question: Do you trust that money donated to Haiti will help earthquake victims? Seventy percent who answered the poll, answered "No." SEVENTY PERCENT. I realize that people are very skeptical about donating, but 70 percent is way more than I expected, even given the questions that have arisen from Wyclef Jean's Yele foundation.

Normally, I'm not very big on donating to causes outside of my usual American Cancer Society donations, but I did not hesitate to text "Haiti" to 90999. Maybe I decided to give because Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere with 80 percent of its people living below the poverty line. Maybe I gave because a friend was working in Haiti as part of the Peace Corps. Maybe it's seeing the pictures and constantly hearing the stories of Haitians struggling to survive. But never once did I hestitate to donate because I wasn't sure if all of my $10 would actually make it to Haiti. I'm confident that at least a portion of my donation will make an impact in Haiti one way or another.

Charity Navigator gives a list of charities that have a history of working with disaster relief or with Haiti, so people can make an informed decision of where to donate (American Red Cross does make the list). Better Business Bureau also offers tips and its approved charities to aid in your decision. My friend volunteered with The Children's Nutrition Program of Haiti, which does not show up on Charity Navigator, but I have no doubt that they do great work. I hope those who have not donated yet (and are financially able) will overcome any hesitations and make a donation. Now is the perfect time to improve conditions in this suffering country and help in any way we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment