Friday, January 29, 2010

My Top 20 D.C. Restaurants to Try in 2010

One of the great things about living in D.C. is the food. I'd love to think of myself as a foodie-in-training. I've always loved food- cooking it, eating it, reading about it-but my interest in and appreciation for it has grown recently. The three places I've lived in my 23 years have all been interesting food destinations in themselves. Bon Appetit Magazine called Chapel Hill "America's Foodiest Small Town" in 2008. My hometown of Yanceyville features the Yancey House, which won "2009 Best Dish in NC Casual Dining". Quite a feat for a town of 2,000. (I was lucky enough to waitress/host at the Yancey House. Looking back, I wish I'd helped out in the kitchen more.)

I didn't really get to appreciate much of Chapel Hill's best dining options since I lived there on a college student's budget. Now as a resident of D.C., I'm determined to try out the city's many great restaurants and cuisines. In less than a year in the District, I've been able to dine at: Zaytinya, Oyamel, Sushi-Ko, Vermillion, 2 Amy's, Matchbox, Ray's Hell Burger, BGR The Burger Joint, Tacklebox and Jaleo. (Among other delicious, but maybe less-heralded restaurants).

Here is my list of restaurants to try in 2010 greatly inspired by Washingtonian's 100 Best Restaurants and Cheap Eats and The Washington Post's 2009 Fall Dining Guide by Tom Sietsema. I tried to keep them within my budget and paid special attention to places close to home:

Rasika: Although Indian food is not my favorite given its spiciness and my low tolerence, the reviews this restaurant has gotten is enough to make me take a chance.

Bibiana:Awesome Italian food at a reasonable price. Count me in.

Black's Bar: Boyfriend's request because of the proximity to his apartment.

Addie's: I'm a sucker for choosing restaurants as much for ambiance and setting as much as for food. When you combine good food with the fact that Addie's is in a cool little bungalow, I'm sure to get roped in.

Cava: I heart Greek food. An added bonus is that the Capitol Hill location has several takes on the Mojito (my favorite drink).

Cork Wine Bar: Although nothing on the menu stands out at me, something makes me want to try it out.

Pete's Apizza: I was turned away by the surprisingly high (for what we want to pay for pizza) prices when I went to the restaurant late last year, but with a new location opening in my neighborhood, I doubt I'll be able to stay away.

Etete: In college a couple of my friends had a list of several ethnic restaurants to choose from as part of a "Food & Culture" class. I went with them to "Queen of Sheba" in Chapel Hill and my Ethiopian food experience remains one of my most memorable meals. Would love to see how it compares to Etete.

Faryab: Curious to try this Afghan restaurant.

Eventide: The lounge and brunch menus are calling my name. Not to mention the cocktails.

J&G Steakhouse: Special occasion meal.

Potenza: More Italian.

PS 7's: Copy-paste from Eventide.

Ray's the Steaks: If it's as good as Ray's Hell Burger...

Comet Ping Pong: Even though it's in my 'hood, I've only been there for a band and a beer. Time to try to the pizza and pong.

Good Stuff Eatery: Burgers+milkshakes+Top Chef=guaranteed happiness.

Surfside: When I want to go to the beach...

Cornucopia: I want to go in this gourmet shop every time I walk by.

Teasim: Affordable and interesting.

Birch & Barley and Churchkey: Good beer & good food put this as perhaps one of my top choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment